In response to the deep racial, socioeconomic, and educational inequities of our broader society, the Princeton-Blairstown Center delivers experiential and adventure-based programming, first and foremost to underserved urban youth, that opens all participants to expanded possibilities for themselves in relationship to their world and their futures.
PBC’s Core Values
The mission of the Princeton-Blairstown Center grows out of the following shared beliefs and commitments:
We believe that powerful experiences in the lives of young people, in a wilderness setting or otherwise away from the patterns and distractions of their everyday physical, emotional, and social environments, can be fundamentally transforming, opening them to their individual potential and to previously unimagined possibilities and capacities.
We maintain that effective work is best carried out through deep and respectful collaboration around a shared vision and purpose that draws upon the experience, expertise, and wisdom of all involved.
We hold that connecting deeply with others and the natural environment promotes a deeper sense of responsibility to oneself, to one’s community, and the spaces we occupy.
Princeton-Blairstown Center aims to carry out its mission through the following means:
- Forging deeply focused and customized partnerships with community agencies and schools
- Collaborating in purposeful ways with Princeton University programs and departments, and engaging the energy and commitment of individual students, faculty, and staff
- Offering participants an opportunity to step back from their routine surroundings – at the Bass Lake site, on the Appalachian Trail or the Delaware River, or in a designated space in their local and school environments
- Delivering programs that promote emotional and social learning: reflective self-awareness, self-confidence, collaborative and communication skills, leadership, curiosity about unrealized personal potential, and respect for self and others
- Offering professional training in social and emotional learning for staff of partnership organizations
- Practicing at all levels of the organization, from activities on the ground through executive management and governance, the core values of empowerment, partnership, and stewardship